Situated in Columbia, Caño Cristales, tributary of Guayabero River is a beautiful river in the Serrania de la Macarena province. It is known as the ‘river of five colours’ because this mesmerising spot is not just a single coloured flowing river, rather it flows in five different colours, particularly, green, red, orange, blue ,yellow and is a dynamic natural show.
Why And When
The colours of Caño Cristales come from the rocks, plants and other natural watery items in the riverbed (for instance, the red comes from a red plant – Macarenia clavigera).This mesmerising site takes beauty from nature and blesses it with so much more. Well, this magnificent beauty is not present throughout the year therefore if you want to witness Caño Cristales, July to November is the time you shoot your shot!\
How To Reach Caño Cristales
To reach your destination you need to get to Villavicencio from Bogota by a plane or bus. From there, catch another plane to La Macarena and from here you can hire a guide, who would take you to Caño Cristales. It is one of Colombia’s most visited and amazing tourist places!
You Should Know
- Having a licensed guide is mandatory to visit the red river.
- Bring plenty of cash with you as there is only one ATM in La Macarena.
- Check the weather before you go as the river isn’t colorful all the time.
- The area is also home to about 420 species of birds, 10 species of amphibians, 43 species of reptiles, and eight primates.
- As the area has a tropical climate beware of the strong sun during the day.
You might like reading –