Vajrasana is a yoga-asana also known as the Thunderbolt Pose. Vajra refers to the weapon of Indra (the God of heaven). Daily practice of this Asana will make you sturdy and vigorous. Vajrasana is the simplest Asana that can be practiced after lunch or dinner.
Step By Step
Step 1: Sit on the flat floor in Dandasana pose or fold both your legs and place your feet under the hips with both heels protruding outwards and the toes touching your hips, in this position both the thumbs should touch each other)
Step 2: Keep your spine and head erect, close your eyes. At this point, your knees should touch each other.
Step 3: Now, keep your right palm on the right knee and left palm on the left knee.
Step 4: Take a deep breath and exhale slowly by both nostrils. (Normal breathing)
Step 5: Now exhale, slowly and gradually.
Note: In the beginning, practice Vajrasana for 5 minutes after lunch or dinner. Once you are adept at it, increase the time of the asana accordingly.
Benefits of Thunderbolt Pose
- Helps in keeping the mind stable and calm
- Cures indigestion, acidity, gas formation, constipation
- Relieves back pain
- Beneficial in stomach disorders, urinary problems.
- Strengthens the sexual organs
- Reduces obesity
- Strengthens the thigh muscles
- Useful for arthritis patients.
- Relieves pain in the knees
Precautions To Be Taken
- a knee injury or have recently undergone knee surgery
- a spinal cord problem, especially with the lower vertebrae
- intestinal ulcers, hernia, or any other intestinal problems.
Watch this video for a fair idea about the same.