Instagram’s ‘On This Day’ feature is a nostalgic feature that was introduced as part of the new Create mode for Instagram Stories.
‘On This Day’ on Instagram allows you to share old posts from your feed. It works by showing you random posts from previous years that you shared on the same date, inviting you to revisit the post and share it in your Stories or Direct Messages. The feature also allows you to go back in time and see who you followed and who followed you on that particular day.
How to use this feature?
- Navigate to the Instagram home page.
- Then, at the top of your screen, swipe right or click on the Your Story icon.
- When the camera window appears, click the Create mode icon on the left.
- Continue straight until you reach the On This Day option.
- Press the record button.
- You can now change the background colour, add emojis and so on. Furthermore, you have the option of displaying your post with or without a caption.
- When you’re finished editing your Story post, click the Send to button to add it to your Story.
Users may find it easier to convert their old impermanent content into new ephemeral content with the launch. This could be especially useful because not everyone does something worthy of a storey every day. And, given how many #TBT throwbacks are already shared, there is clearly a demand for nostalgia with new commentary.
The feature is similar to Facebook’s ‘Memories,’ which Instagram also launched earlier this year, but its user base was low due to the function’s inaccessibility.
A spokesperson for Instagram said on Create mode, “this new mode helps you combine interactive stickers, drawings, and text without needing a photo or video to share.. On This Day suggests memories and lets you share them via Direct and Stories.”
If you liked reading about this Instagram feature, you should also read: Upcoming YouTube Music Updates: What To Expect