Guys, we did it! We sat through another Grammy Awards ceremony which clocked in at almost 4 hours long!
First things first, the evening was kicked off with a solemn a cappella tribute to Kobe Bryant by Boys II Men. The group was joined by Grammys host Alicia Keys, who later summed up the year in song and gently shaded the Academy by saying “I’m proud to be here as an artist, for the artists, with the people, and I feel the energy of all the beautiful artists in this room,” Keys explained. “It’s a new decade. It’s time for newness and we refuse the negative energy. We refuse the old systems. Feel me on that.”
Sheila E., Usher, and FKA Twigs honoured Prince with a song and dance, while Tyler the Creator, Billie Eilish, Lizzo and Aerosmith with Run-DMC brought their own distinct brand of magic to the Grammys stage.
Lil Nas X collabed with Korean Pop giants BTS and brought down the house with their version of “Old Town Road,” while Demi Lovato tugged at our heartstrings with a tearful “Anyone.”
Director Ava DuVernay introduced a Nipsey Hussle tribute from DJ Khaled, John Legend, Meek Mill, YG and others, while Ariana Grande’s set included splits that were super impressive, to say the least!
The final performance of the night gave us Ben Platt belting out “I Sing the Body Electric” from Fame while Misty Copeland danced and Gary Clark Jr. shredded on guitar! But of course, all of this was nothing compared to the pure chaos that Billie Eilish created. What do we mean? Take a look below.
1. Record Of The Year
- “Hey, Ma” by Bon Iver
- Winner: “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish
- “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande
- “Hard Place” by H.E.R.
- “Talk” by Khalid
- “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus
- “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone & Swae Lee
2. Album Of The Year
- i,i by Bon Iver
- Norman F******* Rockwell! by Lana Del Rey
- Winner: when we all fall asleep, where do we go? by Billie Eilish
- thank u, next by Ariana Grande
- I Used to Know Her by H.E.R.
- 7 by Lil Nas X
- Cuz I Love You (Deluxe) by Lizzo
- Father of the Bride by Vampire Weekend
3. Song Of The Year
- “Always Remember Us This Way” by Natalie Hemby, Lady Gaga, Hillary Lindsey & Lori McKenna, songwriters (Lady Gaga)
- Winner: “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)
- “Bring My Flowers Now” by Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, Tim Hanseroth & Tanya Tucker, songwriters (Tanya Tucker)
- “Hard Place” by Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, H.E.R. & Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.)
- “Lover” by Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)
- “Norman F****** Rockwell” by Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, songwriters (Lana Del Rey)
- “Someone You Loved” by Tom Barnes, Lewis Capaldi, Pete Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn & Sam Roman, songwriters (Lewis Capaldi)
- “Truth Hurts” by Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson & Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo)
4. Best New Artist
- Black Pumas
- Winner: Billie Eilish
- Lil Nas X
- Maggie Rogers
- Tank and the Bangas
Billie Eilish’s sweep of the “Big Four” awards makes her only the second artist in history to do so! Paired with her brother, we sure have a lot more bangers to look forward to from the duo in the future.