A tourist destination favoured by the infamous likes of Julius Caeser, Napolean and Hitler; Wengen lies on a wind protected sun terrace at the foot of the Jungfrau. Explore the serene beauty of ice capped peaks in a tradition-imbued and car-free holiday resort.
You’ll love Wengen if…
- You want to go skiing with family
- You want to get away from the hustle and bustle of a busy city life
Where should you head to?
Take a scenic ride to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen on the mountain railway. Ski on the slopes of a family-friendly ski region of Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen with 110 km of predominantly easy to medium-difficulty pistes. If you fancy yourself as an expert, try the famous World Cup piste on the Lauberhorn. Bask in the long hours of sunshine in the neighbouring ski areas of the Jungfrau region. For a lighter option, hike through the toboggan runs.
Trot through the marked walking trails or take one of the mountain cableways to explore the beautiful landscape of the Jungfrau region. Capture the views of the rock ridges of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau on the panoramic route between Wengen and the Kleine Scheidegg. Observe the climbers on the Eiger north face by telescope from the Kleine Scheidegg. Trace the Eiger trail at the foot of Eiger north face for some astonishing scenery. Get on a sleigh with husky dogs at Jungfraujoch or try hang-gliding from Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg.
You shouldn’t miss…
- Kleine Scheidegg – the Alpine railway station at an altitude of 2061 m
- Jungfraujoch – the ultimate excursion destination in the Bernese Oberland
- Trümmelbach Falls near Lauterbrunnen – one of Europe’s wildest glacier gorges with the waterfalls of the Trümmelbach hidden within rock
Watch out for…
- Lauberhorn ski races in January
- Jungfrau Marathon in September
- Mendelssohn Music Week in August